As part of NIXI’s efforts to innovate and provide more choices to domain name registrants, NIXI has announced the launch of 30 new domain extensions ( aka zones). These domain extensions will be enabled for all Registrars by default and it’s up to the registrars to offer these domain names to the domain name registrants.
List of New .IN Domain Name Extensions:
Launch Time (Availability Time):
Start Date: 00:00:00 (IST) Saturday 30th Oct 2021 i.e., 18:30:00 (UTC) Friday 29th Oct 2021
- Pricing for new registration in these above-mentioned new domain extensions will be the same as the pricing of 3rd level TLDs such as .co.in, .firm.in. Typically most registrars charge between 300 to 400 INR per year.
Potential Usecases (examples):
- A doctor named “Ramesh” can use a domain name like Ramesh.Dr.in. It is affordable and also costs just 300 to 350 Rs a year.
- A cardiology specialized hospital can use a domain name like Cardio.Dr.in
- An AI consulting company can use a domain name like Consulting.AI.in
It is indisputable fact that .IN domain names can be ranked a lot better in India’s search engine rankings than any other domain name extension. NIXI is giving a lot of choices to make the domain names more affordable for end-users.
Already NIXI is allowing the unrestricted registrations in the below mentioned domain name extensions.
The most popular one of all these domain name extensions is .IN and then .CO.IN , the rest of the domain name extensions has very few registrations and they have not succeeded in the real world though. So the new extensions are very likely to meet the same fate as their brothers and sisters until unless NIXI spends a huge marketing budget to promote this initiative.
- NIXI is certainly trying to improve the .IN domain name extension
- NIXI is clearly trying to innovate and offer more choices to domain registrants
- In theory, Domain registrants certainly have more choices and it could help to increase the adoption rate the .IN extension
- Promotion of these extensions is key, without the promotion they will not be succeeded
- If these extensions are promoted effectively and succeed keyword.in or LLL.in (short) domain names are going to be more valuable
- Valuations of .co.in domain names are likely to suffer due to the increased choices of more domains available to end-users